Saturday, October 8, 2011

one Grape tale


Over the weekend, I watched this classic tale which starred two of the very famous and talented actors, one being my all-time favourite actor, Johnny Depp himself, as well as the romance icon, Leonardo DiCaprio. 


The title of the movie is "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". It does sound like a weird movie but after I've watched it, I think it was a really fantastic one. 



So it's all about the life of this Gilbert Grape, by Johnny Depp, whose troubled life was everything the movie highlighted. From having a obese mother, to a really annoying little sister, to having to take care of his mentally disabled little brother, it's truly too much for a young person to handle it all. What's more, then a new girl came to town and walla, these two young people just fell completely head over heels. Well, don't expect too much of lovey-dovey scenes and cheesy or romantic lines because there just aren't many. In fact, to me, their affair was, um, more like the down to earth kind you know. But I think the girl portrayed a brand new look from what movies nowadays portray. This girl had a boyish hairstyle and yet she dresses up pretty chic. In a way, it feels as if it was intended for us to see beauty in a different manner than how we are so used to seeing.


The ending was pretty sad, I guess. Just when the mother put in an effort to make a change for herself and her dearest family, time seems to take a toll on them. She died. Yeah, that's why. It was sad to see how deeply affected was Arnie towards her death. 


I think it's quite ironic, and sometimes unfair. You know how in real life, people always say, "It's not too late for (something)." Why would people want to say so when knowing so well it isn't the case? Yeah, of course, some things are never too late to be done. But then, there are lots more things that may seen too late to be done. Maybe, I don't know. Or perhaps, given the circumstance I am in and have recently been through, it seems as if a time bomb is silently ticking away, and all this while has been tricking me into this final moment of truth. That realization that hits you straight in the face and when you have finally understood, learnt, ready to say sorry and to make amends, it blows off. Yes, the bomb. It never waits, and it will not, for anyone to come.


That's why sometimes, I believe in second chances. Somehow, sooner or later in your walks through life, you will come to a point where you will wish, or desperately fight for your second chance. I did, but I didn't get it. 




I think Gilbert's mum deserved a second chance. And I think all people deserve second chances.



That's why swings are great. I love swings. You swing right up to the highest point and for that one moment, it's as if you're an eagle, soaring above and tearing through the bright blue carpet to reach those cotton candies. 

Man, I love my nonsensical and irrelevant metaphors. ;D 

No comments:

Post a Comment