Saturday, October 29, 2011

a bonding least expected


Yesterday was everything but usual.

Early morning, we were already at Xiao En Centre for the funeral service. Funerals- they always have a way of forcing people into tears, no matter how hard they have convinced themselves not to shed a tear at the occasion itself. And that does not make me an exception because even though I was not very close to her, our lives had crossed paths numerous times and kindness has constantly been shown to us. It is a huge loss especially to my grandma. All I pray for, is to let her soul be at peace.


I met an old friend of mine as we were about to leave the centre for the crematorium. How long has it been since our last meeting, our last conversation, our last contact. It is odd you know, that people who were once so close and had tons to talk about could reach this point of silence. I just wish time could allow us to bring back those bonds or if not, give us the chance for effort. That friend, was Pik Mun. It was really glad seeing you, though regrettable at such a circumstance.

Habits die hard but for once, I surprised not only myself but also my grandparents. I have always been so at ease with myself and the breakfast lifestyle I have built up that it has been years since I last went for a breakfast with my family. (That does not include my mum) Perhaps, I'm just so used to being coup up in my bedroom that not dining it in for one morning would probably be a wonder to my family. But it was a good meal that we enjoyed and the time we spent, though the conversation that we had was minimal when I am involved, I had to admit I was glad I decided to have breakfast with them. After all, what else to give top priority to apart from our very own kin? So thank God. It was a pleasurable moment that we all shared and cherish.


You see, such an occasion that is almost dreaded by most people had actually brought an unexpected turn of events. On just one such occasion, I had the chance of meeting up with an old friend, though only for a very brief moment, and also to give time to those loved ones that I have. I guess that is why it is often quoted that there is always a bright side to everything that happens. Of course, in life, not all things are as joyous as little kids receiving Christmas presents. But if you choose to look at it from another angle, there may be certain positive points that you might pick up.

It's a wonder, and a delight that such an occasion could bring people together. And yes, I do believe it has achieved that purpose for the living. 


No comments:

Post a Comment