Saturday, February 4, 2012

the trail so long missed


What I like most about staying in a hotel while on a vacation is the absolute freedom of lazying   in bed and can be completely oblivious to either the appearance of sunshine or moonlight or both. Because even if the sun is shining brilliantly outside, the perfectly thick and oblique curtains are there to ensure we don't come back from our dreams. Nice ain't it? I'll surely have one of those curtains in my room some time in the future. Maybe like, changing curtains every week, or ever fortnight, or perhaps, every couple of days? I'd like some variations too, you know. Like, lacey curtains and Victorian style ones. ;D

And being left alone by ourselves- me and bro in the hotel room- since momma's main purpose for visiting Penang was to oversee and sort of 'train' the sales person of her office's branch here, so she had left us before I even realized what time it was that she bid us goodbye. So look, me and bro, two not-underaged-but-young-children seemingly having the world to ourselves. ;D Doesn't that sound like The Suite Life of Zack and Cody? (I never watched that series by the way.)

If I was on my own, or if bro would be as adventurous as I had been, and if nothing was planned out already for us, it would surely have been a kick-ass day out! Well, at least I would have uncountable 'plans' that I'd like to experiment and try. ;D But Sis Yem was coming to bring us out that day before momma comes back in the late afternoon. 

How funny yet frustrating it was that we only realized momma had taken her car keys with her just when we were about to leave the hotel. Luckily the office was just the next street across from our hotel and only a brief walking distance was needed. 

We were brought to this cafe for our breakfast. It was the same exact place that Sis Yem took me too the last time I came here. And this time, she ordered Lor Bak for us as well, just as how she treated me the last time. Well, she said this was one of the best she tasted. But really, I find that I'm such an amateur in food-tasting compared to momma, bro and Sis Yem. I mean, for food that I like, I'll just eat them and even if I have any comments or critiques regarding them, it would not be as precise compared to them. 

I'll just eat. ;D

The Lor Bak. I think, they taste almost the same? LOL


This uncle was the one manning the Lor Bak stall, together with his wife. ;)


It so happened that bro and I had the same craving. And here it is, Penang's Hokkien Mee. Quite a surprise to us because it was our first time trying and it is exactly KL's version of Prawn Mee! An exact replica! HAHA

And now we know, Penang's Hokkien Mee is KL's Prawn Mee.


We only had a few hours to ourselves before rejoining with momma later in the afternoon. So the only closest and interesting place left for us to visit was the Snake Temple. Other places will be visited together with Momma and Sis Kelly on the following days.

I just adore this place. Because of the snakes, of course. And how I missed my Albino python! How long has it been since I last saw it! It's not mine, but still, I wanna call it mine. Just because I touched it. ;D

Bro and Sis Yem. ;)


Not for sale? It better not be! Cobras are the only species that I am thwarted from. Frightening as hell. But they're beautiful creatures, when you watch them silently and closely.


Its face looks like an ancient mummified Pharoah. It does! ;D


My lovely fellow. Had we been a few minutes earlier, we would be privileged to witness a feeding process! Oh, such a regrettable thing it was! I would really really wish to see a real live python feeding a chicken. I think it was a dead chicken that they fed it. I think. I'm not sure. HAHA



Some of the reptiles on display. And perhaps, some of my favourites. ;)

A cobra, and I don't know what type this is. Definitely not a speckled, I think. HEEEEEE


No, I definitely know what this is! That's why I said it's the scariest of all reptiles! This King Cobra, its head could be just as huge as my fist. Oh well, my fist could be engulfed by its mouth in no time. That's for sure.


Ooh, and back to my lovely one again. ;D


Bro touched it, cause I asked him to. HAHA. Come on, you just can't not touch it when it's a living one right below your nose! And besides, it's tame. So tame it makes it more lovable. ;D


Yes, I'll bid you farewell for now. Will see you the next time I come. I promise. ;)


Missed out the chance for a feeding process for a python? Well, it was aptly replaced with not just one, but several feeding processes by, well, much smaller reptiles. But still, better than nothing because I have never watched a live feeding process before! ;D

Looks right there! A mouse, or a rat's tail is sticking out from the snake's mouth. 




What a meal!


After Snake Temple, we headed back to our hotel. Lounged on the comfy bed for a bit before momma came home. Felt so awful because Sis Yem had to wait for us in the lobby because she just didn't want to come up with us. So within an hour, we were heading out again. 

I have been such a loyal fan of 四千金 ever since I was a kid that this song is etched deeply in my mind. 三轮车跑得快, 上面坐个老太太, 要五毛给一块, 你说奇怪不奇怪. ;D


If you know Subang area well enough, you'll be just as amazed as me. I guess. 
Asia Cafe! ;D


But no, this Lor Mee stall wasn't in Asia Cafe. Gee, it's as old as our country's independence! ;D


Just outside this coffeeshop was this uncle selling confectioneries and pastries. They look tempting, really.



So we decided to buy a packet of this. It tasted like red bean paste underneath the tau-sah-peng-like skin. And very delicious! Love at first bite. ;D

 

This was, otak-otak? Is it? My bad, I really can't remember the names for such food. I think they are otak-otak. Or not. Or some other names. I don't know! ;P


According to momma, it tasted so well that they ordered a second piece. And, I just eat. Like I said. ;D


And of course, the never-to-be-missed Lor Mee! Also quite different from KL's Lor Mee from the look of it. Its taste was more of a herbal based gravy and it uses duck meat instead of chicken or pork. But come to think of it, there isn't any meat in KL's Lor Mee, is it?



Afterwards, Sis Yem led us along the streets of antique shops. Antiques are never my fancy, not so much as momma and Sis Yem. But off we went anyway. Some items were really nice to watch, like old radio sets, bicycles and stuff like that. Um, you could say I did not dislike the walk. I guess perhaps it was the slight pain in my back that was disturbing me. Yikesss



And my favourite of all? This vinyl disc! ;D


Penang's buildings have some pretty unique architecture. Look how it curves, with its structure and stuff. Imagine how the people in the olden days have accomplished such a task!


Hello there! You look familiar! ;)


This bicycle is lovely! Reminds you of The Notebook, doesn't it? ;D


There's no way you can't not snap a picture of this thing! 


This shop has some pretty brilliant stuff. 



Pictures! Black and white. Lovely!


And this? No words for that. 

I've never seen anyone enjoying himself so much as this uncle here. That instrument he was so knack at, no idea what it's called, was like a toy version of piano. But he was real good at it, no doubt. 


The long walk through the labyrinth of historical and culturally-rich streets lasted no more than a couple of hours. By the end of it, we were all exhausted and having no more energy left to walk, well except for Sis Yem. Antiques are just her thing. ;)

It was close to evening when we left for our hotel. Not much time left for rest as advanced plan had it that we were to have dinner with Sisters Yem, Kelly and Pastor Sarah. I remember I was starting to feel a little off colour and what's more, my back was hurting me more by then.

Dinner was at a lane just beside a coffeeshop. The speciality and the main dish that they wanted us to savour was the Pork Noodle, if I was not mistaken. However, I did not try that dish because, I don't know, I just didn't feel like having that. Like I said, perhaps it was the pain which was causing it or perhaps, I wanted to leave my dear stomach empty for the food at Gurney Drive. Well, because earlier on, I thought I heard them saying they were going to bring us there and yet we ended up at this lane. Oh well. And because of that particular reason, I only ordered a dish of popiah. ;D 

Worth ordering that too because it's the total opposite of how KL popiah is. Okay, maybe not that different but it has its own uniqueness. A special kind of broth was poured over the dry popiah and that gives a slight wetness with every bite. Something new to try. ;)


This was the Pork Noodle. It has everything in it! Literally, everything! Like, you know, the internal organs and such ingredients and too bad, I seldom eat such organs. LOL
But its soup was tantalizing. The perfect match for the noodles. 


So right after dinner, we took a ride towards Gurney Drive. All the while during the journey, my back was hurting so much. Momma helped me massage it but its tingling feeling was reaching its height already. Even walking ached it. =(

Not to mention it was another long walk that we all did. From one end of Gurney Drive to another end. Well, okay, not that far. Just from one quiet end to the middle section of it, where G Hotel was. And so we went into G Hotel and 'borrowed' their restrooms. That's another joy of visiting hotels. Because hotels are beautiful and so it makes sense that their restrooms must have some beauty and elegance in it as well. So, I like visiting hotels' restrooms. HA!

Surprise! Surprise! A mini fish tank with only ONE goldfish in the ladies. Poor fishie, its world is full of people coming in and out just for one common purpose- bowel business. LOL


Another pretty Christmas tree! This was so tall, but not as tall as the one in South Quay, but still as beautiful! G Hotel was really an elite place. Really it was, from the look of it. Its design, its service, its entrance, so grand, so exquisite. Its lounge, its staircase, its counter, the staff working there, and the lights! Simply put you in awe.




Even a stand lamp is bigger than my head. 


Creative max! 


Time for food again after our mass toilet break. HAHA
This time, we proceeded to another place. Initially, I thought we were going to eat at the food centre along Gurney Drive, but no. We were headed back to town and arrived at what I later knew was the Esplanade. Oh, surely I remember! It was part of my first venture there the first time I came. ;) I never knew there was such a busy food court in the night! There were actually two sections; one part was dominated with Malay and Indian food while the other side was the majority of Chinese food. We had Chinese food and since I had only a small portion of so-called dinner earlier on, momma made me have something more filling. Like, fried rice! Ooh, fried rice is always one of my favourite food. No reason, I just seldom turn them down. ;D

Then rojak and fried oyster were ordered for communal sharing. They said the fried oyster wasn't that nice, if I wasn't mistaken. Not much oysters. Oh wait, or was it the one at McAllister street that they said? Man, I need some stimulant to boost my memory!


Bro always has noodles, while it's usually rice for me. Gee, what does that make me? ;P


Such a long day, and more to come for the next! 

Oh by the way! One funny thing that happened was the melted chocolate. You see, momma wanted to return Pastor Sarah's kindness by giving her a bottle of chocolates. It's not a can, it really is a plastic bottle. And so a bottle of chocolates! But she mistakenly put it in the car while we went for our cultural trail in the afternoon. 

Momma: I thought we would go for dinner right after this ma.
Me: Of course it will melt la! 

Momma even said I got my wish granted because ever since I first laid eyes upon that bottle of chocolates, I had been bugging her for it. Well, even though I never meant it seriously and knew full well it was for Pastor Sarah. But still! ;P And now, I need not bug her any further and that bottle of chocolates is now ours. HAHA



Melted, and hardened again. Until now, I haven't touched it yet. They're all coagulated and one of these days, I'll just have to cut open the bottle and chop them into smaller, edible pieces. ONE OF THESE DAYS. WHEN I HAVE NOTHING TO DO. ;D


No comments:

Post a Comment