Wednesday, March 23, 2011

double the devastation, triple the strength


This was by far the scariest picture I've ever seen. Reports from witnesses in the 2006 tsunami claimed that the waves were almost 10 stories' high or as high as coconut trees. I never thought it was that severe. Because I thought that due to the circumstances they were forced under, they might unintentionally exaggerate what they saw. But now, I truly believe them. I apologize for my assumptions before this.

And I thank God Malaysia has yet to experience such kinds of natural disasters.

However protected Malaysia is now, somehow, there is something in me that believes Malaysia will not be excluded from these occurrences. It's not that I'm being pessimistic or damning it, but I simply can't deny there is possibility of it happening here. And when it really does happen, we will not be ready. If you come to think of it, we had never had any drilling or 'lessons' that teach us what to do and what not to do and how to survive when such natural disasters strike.

When things like that happen, we empathize and lend a hand to those who are affected. Effortlessly, we also tend to say "I know how you feel...", comforting words like that. But do we really understand how they feel?

I don't think we truly do. 

There's an urge somewhere within me that wants to be there and helps these people. Even though we need not lose someone dear to us to know what they are going through, but being there physically and living through the aftermath emotionally is more than enough.

Why am I sounding like this? I have no idea.

I pray for them who are affected even in the least bit to be given the strength to pick up these broken pieces of their lives and patch them up and move on tougher and stronger than they had been. God bless them.


No comments:

Post a Comment