Sunday, April 29, 2012

through the lens of purity


Yesterday was a day of importance in Malaysian history. Being a part of it gives me the greatest pleasure and honour of all. They used to say that we, students and young people shouldn't be involved in such matters. But look, the truth is that we, even though you may think us naive or easily manipulated, are the citizens of this nation. We live in this country and that makes us all the more responsible to be concerned with it.

It started off as a normal day, at least it was for me. But it did not take long for me to feel the spirit building and burning up within me, even though I was out of bound of the growing crowd in the heart of the city. The utmost feeling that got to me was that I actually felt proud to be among the young minds that are ready to stand up and fight for what is right. Yes, it all comes down to righteousness. 

I guess I've never had such strong feelings towards a matter as this before. Last year, I watched video after video of the same event that took place for the same cause. It was the first time I've heard of such a thing in this country and definitely by watching how it turned out to be, it gave me chills. Of course, I was quite terrified and I actually found it pretty scary and risky. Yet, it was through such times that I have learnt what this is all about. This time around, that fear does not stand a chance in my mind nor in my heart. I have understood the reason behind this effort and all the hard work and hope people have put in to achieve a common goal. This time around, I know what I am supporting for, I know which side I am on, and I know what I should know.

It's really sad that I had not gone to the actual venue yesterday. I wish I had been persistent and invited a group of other friends who would be up for it so we could have a day of true spirit and strength. Being burned with tear gases and blasted by water canons is definitely not a decent feeling, for most people, I perceive. Do not think me insane or anything worse than that, but honestly, I would really like and be willing to be there on scene and experience how it would be like when that truly does happen. Yes, it will hurt, but without knowing the pain it inflicts upon you, you will never truly understand how it feels like. At least that's the closest circumstance to a war zone you'll ever experience. It is not being ungrateful for the peaceful and war-free place I live in, but if being on scene to take it all in could mean understanding the life in a turbulent country then I would gladly trade my otherwise uneventful day for an experience like that. You can call me crazy if you want, but I would still try it until I personally know how painful it will be. 

Let's be grateful, okay? :)

The next time around when it takes place again, you bet I'll be among the first to say yes to it. :)


I've been hunching in front of my laptop for the entire day, reading and watching videos on what went on yesterday. It gets all the more interesting when you once studied media literacy and now able to differentiate between the left-wing and right-wing media. Youknowwhatimean.


This video really got to the bottom of my heart. I know, I surprised even myself when all of a sudden, emotions overpowered me and tears began streaming down my cheeks even before I could determine the scene of heartache. I don't know, perhaps it was just by watching these people standing strong and unafraid of the troubles ahead and lending hands to those in need and still refusing to bend down even when pushed to the edge. By the end of this video, I really feel all the more regrettable for not going. Mehhhhh :(




A huge thanks to the one who made this video. You made my day. :)


I am truly proud and glad to be among the people who stand up and not afraid to fight for what they believe is right not just for themselves but for the country. Thank you for inspiring me. Thank you for showing that our strength and unity are all that we can rely on. Thank you for being the proof of humanity and compassion. Thank you for showing that we are one.




#bersih3.0

No comments:

Post a Comment