Wednesday, May 4, 2011

an early mother's day lesson


As I was reading the papers tonight, a picture caught my attention. The 911 attack on NY's World Trade Centre. 


Immediately, I showed it to mum. And that was how she started telling me how that day went. She said she was about to wait for the underground subway but for some unknown reasons, the subway has been stalled. It was in the morning, the time when she went to work. She said she did not know about the attack at that time. She was even reading in her own world. And then people took pictures and that was when the news spread. There was a huge commotion at the World Trade Centre. Ambulances and patrol cars gathered around and paramedics assisted in whatever ways they could. People donated blood, money and help. That night, people were all vigilant, donned in blacks and holding candles. Pictures of the lost and dead were put up and everyone was mourning. Mum herself wore black the next day to work. She had to work that night though many other F&B outlets were closed. But people still had to eat. With the communications system down, their restaurant was only lighted with candles. The chefs even cooked under the dim lights. It was very very sad.

But what was really sad and triggered me to write this is, mum said that if she had boarded the train passing through the terminal at World Trade Centre, she would not be here today. For the very first time in my life, I feel this fearful and afraid. I wish mum never had said that but she did, and I'm thankful that she's still here with me today. *tears welling up*

Thank you God.

I really could not imagine life without mum. She's just all I am today. I would never ever trade anyone else for her. Never.

I know we say things that we don't mean, do things that hurt and only regret it later on. I'm sorry. The worst feeling is when you see your mum cries. I know no matter what I do, I can never thank you enough. 

You are really everything I am.


Yes, mum knows best. Maybe the death of Osama and all the bringing back memories are a great lesson after all. If it did not happen, there would be no reminiscence of the past, of what really took place, of what could have cost someone so precious. Just the simple thing that mum had said is enough to bring my emotions down so low. Imagine those who have really lost their loved ones. I can never bear that pain. I'm sorry.

I love you mum. ='(



No comments:

Post a Comment