Sunday, August 5, 2012

a much deserved ovation


So apparently, this match was the peak of this summer's Olympics in London. Yes well, the enthusiasm is not as strong as it has ever been, especially not this crazy over this game. But today, or more specifically on this night, I am never prouder to have shared the concerns and emotions that I suppose most, if not all, Malaysians equally experience throughout the match. 

So this was how it went. Naively, me and my mum thought the final match was to take place at 4pm in the evening. So happened I agreed immediately to accompany her out to some place decent where we could enjoy the game. Then after all the confusion only did we realize it was only at 8pm that the finals will take place. And after the cosy nap we both had, history seemed to repeat itself and we headed out (again), thinking that only Astro has live broadcast.

Oh well, so much for the trouble.

But mum said it is such little things that make up memorable moments. :)

I have to admit, this was really the first time I have ever sit down quietly (actually not at all quiet also) to watch a complete badminton match. I believe I've made quite an improvement there. :)

Watching the match was super intense. It was a rubber match, our awesome representative, Lee Chong Wei was leading in the first match. The his all-time rival, and the already mustache-y Lin Dan took control in the second one. WHICH IS WHY THE THIRD MATCH WAS SO FRIGGIN INTENSE!

What's more, the commentator wasn't making it any much better.

Realistically (they say), Lin Dan won. Of course, we all hoped against hope that it would turn out otherwise. But his winning doesn't mean Chong Wei's losing. Yeah well, practically, he would bring home a silver medal instead of a gold one. Yes, Lin Dan has once again retained his title as world's number one. But this means that Chong Wei has once again won the hearts of many Malaysians.

Seeing him on the ground amidst the joyful cries and shouts from China's supporters was really a heart-breaking moment. Yup, even to me. I feel for him. He looked so dejected and sad. I could almost just run up to him, hug him tightly and assure him that everything is alright, you have done fine. If I could.

Tonight, I dare say that I have never been prouder of being a Malaysian, and that is all because of you, Datuk Lee Chong Wei. Please don't apologize to us all for your great performance out there in that stadium. Why even say sorry for the great effort you have poured into this final match? If there is anyone blaming you for not winning the medal, it is not even worth your time to think anything about it. While I was watching this match, my mind kept going back to the ladies doubles where the players cheated. Then I thought about what Chong Wei was now doing for his country, making it proud and known to the people not only in London but everyone who has ears and eyes to hear and see. 

Really, please oh please do not say sorry to us. I don't blame you in the least bit for the spirit you have been fighting on behalf of Malaysia. I don't blame you in the least bit for not winning this finals. I believe that through tonight's match, you have united us Malaysians even more. Just remember that we are your supporters and no matter how much disappointment and sadness you are not undergoing, we feel the same as you too.


I'm really really proud to have you as our representative. 
Thank you so much, Datuk Lee Chong Wei.

You make Malaysia proud. :')



1 comment: